Thursday, December 22, 2011

On sense and sensibility

I'm going through a personal revolution right now. A REVOLUTION. Firstly, if theres anything I've learned about growing up thus far, it's that growth will happen if you let it and it will happen in its own time. I've gone through so much in the past two years--these years are just so huge for personal development and habit making and breaking. I think they may set the tone for the rest of my twenties and I want to be aware of progress...and lack thereof.

Anyway, I am learning that buying multiples of something you use often will save you trips to the store.
-That auto-bill pay saves a lot on anxiety--It's there for a reason.
-"It won't be any more pleasant later" gets chores done before they would be otherwise.
-You don't need to respond when your boyfriend is stressed out from moving/finishing a -degree/emotionally wearing job and looks for 1000 reasons to be upset. Let him get it out, don't take it personally, continue whatever task is at hand. Responding will probably lead to a completely useless argument.
-Making unpleasant phone calls to Whatever Company is part of life. JUST GOTTA MAKE EM (This advice 4 years ago could have saved me a lot of money, man).
[We have had an unfortunate incident with a broken radiator in our living room. After several phone calls, we got an electrician to finally come and fix it but when he fixed it, we couldn't turn it off! Even on low our apartment felt like a sauna. And we couldn't turn it off. Just couldn't. SO FRUSTRATING. And we live on the loudest, busiest, street in the world and with the windows open everything just sucked. Sucked. More phone calls were made, and we now have a radiator that turns off. No one said it would be easy.]

Probably 3/4 of anyone who ever reads this is thinking DUH but imagine trying to live your life without knowing these things! What a pain! Why don't parents teach you any of these things? Or school? Maybe we are supposed to learn by synthesis and I wasn't paying attention.

Either way, it has finally clicked for me that laziness and procrastination are not effective and that shit just has to get done--one way or another. This does not mean that I will procrastinate any less. But I've definitely learned that getting ____ done means I don't have to spend any time feeling guilty about what I SHOULD be doing as opposed to what I AM doing, which means my time has gotten so much sweeter.

The rest of my night will be devoted to Breaking Bad and this bomb ass salad I'm about to make. Hold the side of guilt, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment